- A bottle of thyroid medication
- Countless dog toys
- Six inches of rope
- Entire boxes of Kleenex
- A container of butter
- Huge quantities of food at various times left on the counter
- At least six different pairs of Old Navy flip flops
- Dish sponges
- Shower loofahs
And that is just what is springing to mind, I’m sure I could double that list with some more thought.
I bring this up because of an article I read this week on a UK dog who has eaten 40 different pairs of underwear, a set of car keys, 15 different pairs of shoes, and more than 300 socks (something my Golden Retriever also loves actually, add socks to the above list). Luckily the dog made a full recovery, but it got me to thinking of all the crazy things I have seen on the internet about the crazy things that dogs eat. I did some digging and here’s what I found:
Jake and his 7-Inch Knife
Jake, a 12-week-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross from Merseyside, was taken to the vet after he started vomiting and trying to keep his body in a straight line.
X-rays indicated a seven-inch knife was running through his body, with the plastic handle at the base of his pelvis and the metal point at the top of his throat.
Vets at the People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) operated immediately and within a few days Jake had bounced back to health.
Jake had swallowed the Shappu 2000 knife whole, handle-first, at his home in Huyton.
Elsie and her 12-Inch Knife
Jane Scarola’s veterinarian thought the X-ray was a joke. He’s seen strange items get into the stomachs of dogs before, things like kebab skewers and small utensils. But a 13-inch serrated knife that somehow was swallowed by a 6-month-old puppy?
That was a new one.[...]
Elsie, a Saint Bernard puppy, apparently had the blade between her esophagus and stomach for about four days before it was removed earlier this week in a 2-hour operation.
The puppy has an 8-inch scar, but is fine and back with her family.
Harley and his 15+ Inch Choke Chain
Harley was 18 weeks old when she ate a 40 centimeter long choke chain:
A puppy called Harley has survived after wolfing down a 40 centimetre-long metal choke chain.
Her owner, Devina Alderson from Cambridge, said she saw 18-week-old Harley chewing on the lead, and then the next minute it was gone.
Vets had to carry out an urgent operation to remove the chain from the dog’s stomach, and she’s fine now.
“I think she may have a metal fetish because she tried to eat the scissors too,” her vet said.
George and the Car Immobiliser Chip
George ate a chip that rendered his owner’s car impossible to start:
Juliette Piesley, 39, had changed the battery in her electronic key fob but was then unable to start her car.
When AA patrolman Kevin Gorman arrived at the scene in Addlestone, Surrey, he found its immobiliser chip was missing.
Ms Piesley said her dog George had eaten something, and realising it was the chip, he put the dog in the front seat and started the car with the key.[...]
“They will now have to take George [the dog] with them in the car until things take their natural course.
The Lab Who Ate a Wii Controller
This lab ate a Nintendo Wii controller:
A three year old Labrador Retriever belonging to the Becknell family of Loveland, CO caused alarm when it began coughing up blood.
On taking it to the vet, an X-ray revealed a large mass in the dog’s stomach. After administering Syrup of Ipecac it began to vomit. Lo and behold out came a Wiimote. Marie Becknell commented:
“The Vet started massaging the dog’s belly and it just came flying out. I knew what it was right away by the color and shape of it. It was my son’s video game remote”.
All of this just goes to show that you have to be hyper vigilant about the things with which your dog has access. We are definitely still learning when it comes to our Golden.
Feel free to add the weirdest thing your dog has ever eaten in the comments!